www.allouttabubblegum.com

Your Action Film Pilgrimage Begins Here

It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kain's Quest
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm 

This episode took forever to finally finish, but I am glad I did it. I actually had one mostly done about Reservoir Dogs, but it felt a bit negative for my taste. I really only like talking about things I like, and while I do watch a lot of other people on YouTube and whatnot where they complain a fair amount or bash such-and-such movie I don't think it's MY style. Fortunately, I like most things.

Anything you guys feel I should check out?

Nomoredogsleft94632 wrote:
I really need to see these Billy Jack films thanks to your vid Kain ;) also gotta love Billy Bob in this.

Oh man, the third film is a fucking patience marathon. Clocking in at around three hours, you will be subjected the the most sincere hippy bullshit you can imagine. It's mind-boggling.

That being said, I'm sad the fifth film was never finished.

Rutledal wrote:
I have the Billy Jack box set, it's hard to come by and the fourth film is heavily cut.

Only have some old dvds and vhs cuts. Hope to upgrade one day, but I'm not on a rush or anything. How long is your cut of the fourth film? Mine is around two hours.

jawsunleashed wrote:
One thing you may have forgotten Kain, is the soundtrack, an epic one made by Basil Poledouris.

I didn't talk about the soundtrack because one, I have little to say other than it is a very functional score made by one of my favorite composers (who also made two of my favorite scores ever: Conan The Barbarian and RoboCop), and two, I literally had that in there but cut it for time. I figure I'll do something down the line.

"Sometimes you need a certain rhetoric to get people motivated."
—President Donald J. Trump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 pm 

I take it you didn't like Reservoir Dogs, shame it's one of my favorite movies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:54 pm 

On the contrary, I LOVE Reservoir Dogs. But it truly is a shameless rip-off of another movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:05 pm 

I disagree, there's about 15 minutes of City on Fire that makes it into Reservoir Dogs, and it adds so much to the characters in the flashbacks that it feels entirely like it's own film.

Kain424 wrote:
Rutledal wrote:
I have the Billy Jack box set, it's hard to come by and the fourth film is heavily cut.

Only have some old dvds and vhs cuts. Hope to upgrade one day, but I'm not on a rush or anything. How long is your cut of the fourth film? Mine is around two hours.

4th one is an hour and 54 minutes, I understand the original cut is around two and a half. 3rd one is there in its 2h55m glory with two commentary tracks by Laughlin. Have you ever seen the western he made?

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
He sexually and physically abused Kari Wuhrer and killed another whore in Boulevard . If that's not badass then I doubt you guys know what is...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:07 pm 

City on fire had much more emotional impact on me, but Reservoir Dogs was still a solid and innovative flick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:08 pm 

Rutledal wrote:

4th one is an hour and 54 minutes, I understand the original cut is around two and a half. 3rd one is there in its 2h55m glory with two commentary tracks by Laughlin. Have you ever seen the western he made?

I have that on Region 1. Its certainly... something. Some great action scenes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:15 pm 

Rutledal wrote:
I disagree, there's about 15 minutes of City on Fire that makes it into Reservoir Dogs, and it adds so much to the characters in the flashbacks that it feels entirely like it's own film.

Maybe I should post my video. Visual aids help. But it's a tough call with Tarantino because he makes such a habit of appropriation. My favorite movie of his is still Kill Bill, and that is a grand collage of things that came before.

Rutledal wrote:
Have you ever seen the western he made?

It's one of those films I own but haven't seen yet. I haven't seen it because, as I understand it, it's essentially a remake of Goyokin, which I still need to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:35 pm 

I too understand that it's a remake of a samurai film. Heck Laughlin plays a cowboy who uses a katana. Always wanted to get it, but it's a bit pricy now.

I've seen both films and that short doc "Who do you think you're fooling?", and I still don't really see it. Dogs is richer in character, less of a personal story (City has a while subplot about Chow and his girl) and enough new, original scenes that it doesn't feel like a shameless rip off.

Have you seen Christophe Gans' Crying Freeman? I'd love to see an episode on that.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
He sexually and physically abused Kari Wuhrer and killed another whore in Boulevard . If that's not badass then I doubt you guys know what is...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:56 pm 

I'll look into that. I saw it years ago, but it could do with a fresh rewatch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:10 pm 

I think it's the best "comic book" film that nobody ever talks about.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next