www.allouttabubblegum.com

Your Action Film Pilgrimage Begins Here

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kain's Quest
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm 

If you go by the Karate Tiger title I think there is like 15 entries, every low budget movie where a kick was thrown got called Karate Tiger in Germany back in the day.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
He sexually and physically abused Kari Wuhrer and killed another whore in Boulevard . If that's not badass then I doubt you guys know what is...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm 

Yeah, I've found that out. So I am not really sure how I'll do it, but I'll definitely be working on it.

“How famous was I? When I was a somebody, Jackie Chan was a nobody.”
—Angela Mao

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm 

My favourite part of that whole mess is how Kickboxer with Van Damme became Karate Tiger 3, then No Retreat No Surrender 3 became Kickboxer 2, but Kickboxer 2 still remained Kickboxer 2 so there were two sequels to a movie that never was. Then Best of the Best became Karate Tiger 4, so No Retreat, No Surrender 4 (King of the Kickboxer) had to be Karate Tiger 5, and then finally Kickboxer 3 became Karate Tiger 6.

Also, Showdown with Billy Blanks, a KK rip-off you might swing by during this, is called American Karate Tiger.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
He sexually and physically abused Kari Wuhrer and killed another whore in Boulevard . If that's not badass then I doubt you guys know what is...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:56 pm 

Great stuff Kain. NRNS will always be a guilty pleasure of mine, but I wasn't even aware of there being versions with different soundtracks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:17 am 

Rutledal wrote:
If you go by the Karate Tiger title I think there is like 15 entries, every low budget movie where a kick was thrown got called Karate Tiger in Germany back in the day.

In Germany, Best of the Best is inofficially the 4th entry in the Karate Tiger-franchise, which is officially the No Retreat No Surrender-franchise. So, technically, Best of the Best is No Retrat No Surrender 4.

Confused yet? German publishers in the 80s and 90s were fucking assholes when it came to stuff like that :lol:

Okay, I'll watch the new episode in a few minutes.

Edit:
So, despite some awkward audio cut-offs (minimal ones, but they're there) I liked the episode a lot. Karate Tiger was one of my favorite movies as a kid, I remember the shitty 80s-pop songs, that gay black kid and of course JCVD kicking the shit out of sugarfoot. Awesome stuff. The episode had me laughing my ass off at least twice (naughty stains and the Connery-line :lol: ), but was also fairly informative (Golden Harvest pretty much taking Shaw Bros.'s lead as the biggest studio in Hongkong for example). All in all: Great stuff, can't wait for your NRNS 2-review (which is in my opinion one of the best sequels ever made - because making a squel to a Karate Kid-ripoff by doing a Rambo 3-ripoff was the best idea ever conceived by man :lol: ).

You are a ridiculous man.
(Rutledal)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:09 pm 

The Karate Tiger pseudo-franchise has to be one of the most confusing things out there:
Best of the Best and King of the Kickboxers are part 4 and 5, but not necessarily in this order.
Kickboxer and No Retreat, No Surrender 3 have the same title.
Just look at this shit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:31 pm 

Fucking hell. Maybe I'll do an episode on that shit alone.

“How famous was I? When I was a somebody, Jackie Chan was a nobody.”
—Angela Mao

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:16 pm 

German wikipedia offers a pretty good overview, it is in German of course, but it should be simple enough to navigate your way through it, at least I managed and I don't speak a full sentence of German.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 pm 

I like how they let Best of the Best 2&3 keep their original titles and then called part 4 Kick Fire - Ohne jede Vorwarnung (without any warning). I'm really enjoing Kain´s Quest by the way, it's getting better with every episode.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:37 pm 

Great vid on NRNS, I might check it out just for that awesome fight at the end. Plus, the homoerotic 80s style makes for a good laugh :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next