www.allouttabubblegum.com

Your Action Film Pilgrimage Begins Here

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre-1970 Body Squibs (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 pm 

The Hestinator wrote:
I saw two blood squibs in the 1951 film Only the Valiant, which is peculiar because Wikipedia says the first ever blood squibs were used in the 1955 film Pokolenie (which I haven't seen). There's one where Lon Chaney, Jr. gets shot in the shoulder in the pass before Gregory Peck blows it up and one when the bugler kid gets shot in the shoulder during the final assault. This means Only the Valiant could be the first movie in history to show blood squibs!

However, there were some squib-like bullethole effects in the 1930 picture Hell's Angels (one is shown here at 3:51), but I think the one during the dogfight might've been achieved by shooting a dummy with live ammo and the one at the very end where the guy gets shot in the back doesn't look quite like a squib.

That movie looks awesome. I saw what may have been squibs in a John Wayne movie where they were flying planes, but I may be mistaken. Run Of The Arrow (1957) is also credited with the first squib usage, and there definitely were squibs being used, but I'll have to check out Only The Valiant.

“How famous was I? When I was a somebody, Jackie Chan was a nobody.”
—Angela Mao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm 

If you do ever seen Only the Valiant, could you do a kill count video for Peck, Kain (I counted exactly 10 kills for him)?

jawsunleashed wrote:
The Hestinator wrote:
Ooops, I didn't mean 1051...it was really 1851.

That's still fucking old

Well, that was a joke. It was actually 1951 (which, yes, is still pretty old).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 am 

If Gregory Peck was really in a 1051 movie, I'd hate to imagine how old he would actually be in The Guns of Navarone :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm 

:shock: , I was watching the 1952 western Hangman's Knot and I saw a blood squib in it (possibly two), making them the second oldest in movie history after the one's in Only the Valiant. I don't feel like rewriting all the details again, so if you want more info, just check out the first post on the first page.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:59 pm 

I saw The Green Berets, and there were numerous blood squibs used during the scene where the AC-47 shoots at the Viet Cong. Also, there was a scene in All the Young Men (with Sidney Poitier and Alan Ladd) that featured a guy who got his neck slit by an enemy soldier, and blood flowed from the wound (although I don't think it was a squib). There may have been non-blood squibs earlier when Sidney Poitier opened fire on some enemy soldiers (I think the squibs were on one of Poitier's men, who was shot by Poitier while being held captive by the North Korean/Chinese troops).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm 

BCap wrote:
I saw The Green Berets, and there were numerous blood squibs used during the scene where the AC-47 shoots at the Viet Cong. Also, there was a scene in All the Young Men (with Sidney Poitier and Alan Ladd) that featured a guy who got his neck slit by an enemy soldier, and blood flowed from the wound (although I don't think it was a squib). There may have been non-blood squibs earlier when Sidney Poitier opened fire on some enemy soldiers (I think the squibs were on one of Poitier's men, who was shot by Poitier while being held captive by the North Korean/Chinese troops).

Hey, glad to see you back! I'll add those to the first post. Good work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

Also, I just saw Fixed Bayonets!, and it looked like there were a couple of squibs used (non-blood types, though). I can't be 100% sure of this though, but it did look like it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 pm 

BCap wrote:
Also, I just saw Fixed Bayonets!, and it looked like there were a couple of squibs used (non-blood types, though). I can't be 100% sure of this though, but it did look like it.

Added. Thank you for your participation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 pm 

Oh, almost forgot, but I think Battle of Britain had a couple of blood squibs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:33 am 

BCap wrote:
Oh, almost forgot, but I think Battle of Britain had a couple of blood squibs.

Been years since I saw that one. I wasn't a squib-counter at the time, so I can't remember any specific scenes that might've employed body squibs. Added it, though.

Keep up the good work, you've been a huge help! :D I never thought I'd end up with such a long list when I started.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next