www.allouttabubblegum.com

Your Action Film Pilgrimage Begins Here

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre-1970 Body Squibs (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 am 

I've only seen part of it, but there definitely was a shot of a guy missing his arm - they didn't show it getting blown off (but, if I recall correctly, the guy didn't immediately realize that he was missing an arm at first), there was just a bloody stump where his arm was. There was one scene of a guy getting shot that looked like it used a blood squib, but I couldn't be sure (another scene with a guy getting stabbed definitely had blood spurting from the wound - the camera actually zoomed in on it). As I said, I only saw up to the point where one of the Japanese guys was waking up from a dream he had of his wife and kids (since it was on TCM, everything was uncut, since his wife had quite a nice "set"). I think it was about that time I conked out (it was kinda late at night).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 am 

BCap wrote:
I've only seen part of it, but there definitely was a shot of a guy missing his arm - they didn't show it getting blown off (but, if I recall correctly, the guy didn't immediately realize that he was missing an arm at first), there was just a bloody stump where his arm was. There was one scene of a guy getting shot that looked like it used a blood squib, but I couldn't be sure (another scene with a guy getting stabbed definitely had blood spurting from the wound - the camera actually zoomed in on it). As I said, I only saw up to the point where one of the Japanese guys was waking up from a dream he had of his wife and kids (since it was on TCM, everything was uncut, since his wife had quite a nice "set"). I think it was about that time I conked out (it was kinda late at night).

Definitely gonna have to check out that movie sometime. By the way, I looked up that Jigoku film (never heard of it) and all I can say is "holy shit."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 am 

I saw two blood squibs in the 1951 film Only the Valiant, which is peculiar because Wikipedia says the first ever blood squibs were used in the 1955 film Pokolenie (which I haven't seen). There's one where Lon Chaney, Jr. gets shot in the shoulder in the pass before Gregory Peck blows it up and one when the bugler kid gets shot in the shoulder during the final assault. This means Only the Valiant could be the first movie in history to show blood squibs!

However, there were some squib-like bullethole effects in the 1930 picture Hell's Angels (one is shown here at 3:51), but I think the one during the dogfight might've been achieved by shooting a dummy with live ammo and the one at the very end where the guy gets shot in the back doesn't look quite like a squib.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 am 

I can betcha that there were various ones used for the middle and end portion of the original Walking Tall (not sure if we already mentioned it).

"If you are healthy, if you’re in a joyful state yourself, then all of life is funny. Taking the irony of what our final fate is from the very beginning — when you are born you become aware you’re going to die — that awareness is itself absurd, so that given the right attitude, all of life can be humorous. It’s something to aim for. I try to remember the state of bliss that life is even at its hardest, at its most difficult."- William Shatner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:28 pm 

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
I can betcha that there were various ones used for the middle and end portion of the original Walking Tall (not sure if we already mentioned it).

Haven't seen Walking Tall yet, but my dad recommends that I do so. However, it was released in 1973 and this thread is for pre-1970 pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:47 am 

Hey Guys, I've been checking this question out too because for a long time I'd get annoyed by "Bonnie and Clyde" being credited as the first.
The earliest honest to god body squib hit I've seen is one I never hear mention of.
Which is strange, because the movie isn't exactly low profile.

1956 "Love me Tender" with Elvis Presley. He shoots his brother in the end and it's a beautiful squib hit near his shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:39 am 

stefan18901 wrote:
Hey Guys, I've been checking this question out too because for a long time I'd get annoyed by "Bonnie and Clyde" being credited as the first.
The earliest honest to god body squib hit I've seen is one I never hear mention of.
Which is strange, because the movie isn't exactly low profile.

1956 "Love me Tender" with Elvis Presley. He shoots his brother in the end and it's a beautiful squib hit near his shoulder.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the tip (added to the list of films I haven't seen). It's really, really rare to see a body squib in a '50s movie, plus I'd never expect to learno one was in an Elvis movie :shock: . The two oldest body squibs I've ever seen were both in the 1951 Gregory Peck western Only the Valiant, but I can't help but wonder if any came before that. 1930's Hell's Angels have two instances of squib-like methods of simulating bullet impacts (described in the first post), but I'm pretty sure they weren't actual squibs.

Last edited by The Hestinator on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am 

The Hestinator wrote:
The two oldest body squibs I've ever seen were both in the 1051 Gregory Peck western Only the Valiant

Fuck me that movie is old.

ArnoldVoslooT800 wrote:
He sexually and physically abused Kari Wuhrer and killed another whore in Boulevard . If that's not badass then I doubt you guys know what is...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 pm 

Ooops, I didn't mean 1051...it was really 1851.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:24 pm 

The Hestinator wrote:
Ooops, I didn't mean 1051...it was really 1851.

That's still fucking old

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next